A BIM consultancy in Vancouver realized they needed a new perspective on IT support and service management. Their business was growing and was running up against a lack of responsiveness and future planning from their existing IT provider.
Summit BIM realized it was time for a new approach – a preemptive process that would fully leverage their current technology, improve communication, and allow them to focus on their business goals.
“In talking to Runabout Tech it became apparent that we needed much more than a help desk. We needed a reliable partner who could create a technology plan tailored to our budget, size, and risk profile,” said Geraldine Rayner, Managing Principal. “Runabout Tech was able to come in and do just that.”
The Runabout Tech Solution
The Runabout Tech team spent time with the Summit BIM team to identify their requirements and review their strategic needs. They quickly identified that their IT stack could be improved by moving to Office 365, that license waste could be reduced, and that user training would ensure that Summit BIM was using their software effectively.
Runabout Tech developed and executed a holistic IT strategy that would support Summit BIM’s business growth. In particular:
- Resolved an incomplete OneDrive implementation by transitioning Summit BIM to Office 365. Cleaning up the server implementation, improved file management, provided file change auditability, and eliminated time-intensive instances of data loss.
- Rolled out Microsoft Teams. While not planned for in the initial rollout, the communication and collaboration features in Teams, were key to a successful (and quick) transition to pandemic work from home.
- Protected company data in an off-premises data storage solution. Summit BIM receives additional benefits like anti-virus protection and automatic upgrades that are included in the Office 365 subscription.
- Implemented a robust backup and disaster recovery plan that follows industry best practices.
- Provide ongoing expertise and services which allows Summit BIM to avoid the overhead of a full-time employee.
“Technology changes quickly. We have to adapt just as swiftly,” said Geraldine Rayner. “Runabout Tech manages this change and ensures that we are following best practices. That allows us to focus on growing our core business.”